Minister: No-one will be dismissed from BOR following PM crash
PR dla Zagranicy
Interior Minister Mariusz Błaszczak has said that no-one from the Government Protection Bureau (BOR) will be dismissed following a car accident involving the prime minister last week.
Mariusz Błaszczak. Photo: PAP/Radek Pietruszka
Speaking to Polish Radio on Tuesday, Błaszczak said that the current head of BOR, Colonel Tomasz Kędzierski, is doing a good job.
Błaszczak added that last year, BOR employed 136 officers, while 60 left the bureau. In previous years the numbers of officers entering and leaving BOR were almost identical.
A litmus test for the bureau were last year's World Youth Days and the NATO summit in Warsaw. The two events attracted millions of participants to Poland over a matter of weeks.
The NATO summit in July saw heads of state visiting the Polish capital. Błaszczak said that BOR managed to keep the two events “safe”.
Polish Prime Minister Beata Szydło was involved in a car accident on Friday, leaving her hospitalised with minor injuries. Several media outlets have blamed the BOR security detail over the crash, claiming they were driving over the speed limit, and allegedly not turning on the sirens on their cars.
However, according to a police spokesman, witnesses said that the government convoy that Szydło was travelling in had lights flashing and sirens on, while court-appointed experts have determined that the vehicles were travelling some 50-60 kilometres per hour. (rg/pk)