Fire delays new Warsaw metro line opening
PR dla Zagranicy
Warsaw Mayor Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz announced on Friday that the new second line of the Warsaw metro will not open on 14 December due to a recent fire at one of the stations.
A fire broke out on Tuesday at the as yet unopened Rondo Daszynskiego station in the capital’s western Wola district. It is thought that faulty storage batteries are to blame for the blaze.
Speaking to the press on Friday, Gronkiewicz-Waltz – who had previously said that Varsovians would be able to travel on Warsaw’s second line in time for Christmas – said that she would be meeting fire inspectors to make sure other stations weren’t affected by the batteries.
The new second line of Warsaw’s metro – which connects seven stations along an east-west 6km line – was billed to open in October 2013, but was hampered by the flooding of a tunnel near the Vistula, as well as earth slippage in the centre of Warsaw. (jb)
Source: IAR/TVP Info