Former Prussian castle renovated in Poland
PR dla Zagranicy
A far-reaching renovation of a noted Gothic castle in Lidzbark Warmiński, north eastern Poland, has been completed.
The former castle of the Warmian bishops, Lidzbark Warmiński. Photo: PAP/Tomasz Waszczuk
The historic stronghold, once a residence of the Warmian bishops, now serves as the headquarters of the Museum of Warmia and Masuria.
It is regarded as one of the pearls of Gothic architecture on current Polish land.
The last bishop to reside in the castle was Ignacy Krasicki, one of the most celebrated figures in the Polish Enlightenment, known as 'the Prince of Poets'.
He left the castle in 1794, one year before the final partition of Poland by Prussia, Russia and Austria. He had already become a Prussian subject in 1772, following the first partition, when Warmia was incorporated into Prussia.
Prior to World War II, Lidzbark Warmiński was part of East Prussia, an exclave of Germany. The territory was awarded to Poland following World War II.
Four wings of the castle have been restored. Likewise the roof has been repaired, and the cellars and attics renovated for exhibition purposes.
The work cost nearly PLN 20 million [EUR 4.6 million], of which nearly PLN 13.5 million came from the Norwegian funding mechanism.
Photo: PAP/Tomasz Waszczuk
Message in a bottle
During renovation work, a message in a bottle was found from the year 1928.
Signed by two workmen, the light-hearted message noted that a circus was in town and that “a flying crocodile” had caused a sensation with the locals.
“We live in peace and happily,” the authors wrote.
“The most important things for us young people are money and women - be happy everyone and think of us, when you find this card.”
A new message in a bottle has been immured, together with a copy of the 1928 letter. (nh)