British MP died after vodka shot dinner in Poland
PR dla Zagranicy
A UK inquest has found that MP Jim Dobbin suffered 'death by misadventure' as a result of consuming large quantities of vodka at a dinner in Poland.
The Houses of Parliament, Westminster, London. Photo: wikipedia/G.Maclean
The 73-year-old MP had been attending a Council of Europe event in Slupsk, northern Poland, in September 2014, when the incident occurred.
The city had been awarded a prize for ''promoting the European ideal,'' and on the evening of 6 September, Dobbin attended a celebratory dinner with British, Polish and other European dignitaries.
According to Dobbin's wife, the MP drank a shot of vodka with every course, as did several other diners, after supposedly being encouraged by the hosts.
J. Dobbin. Photo: wikipedia
A post-mortem later found that Mr Dobbin was nearly five times over the UK driving limit.
Later that evening, back at his hotel, the MP complained of feeling unwell, but he attempted ''to sleep it off.''
When his condition worsened, he was taken to a local hospital, where he in the early hours of 7 September.
Besides the high alcohol level, food was found in his lungs, hindering his breathing.
"He was having the perfect day,'' Mrs Dobbin said.
''He never stopped - he was always busy and after he died, I had 940 cards of sympathy from all over the world.'' (nh)
Source: BBC, independent.co.uk