Pole among fatalities after Taliban suicide car bomb attack
PR dla Zagranicy
Taliban have claimed responsibility for a bomb blast near the American Embassy in Kabul, which killed a Pole and two other soldiers working for the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan.
Afghan security officials inspect the site of a suicide car bomb attack targeting a convoy of foreign troops, in Kabul, Afghanistan, 16 September 2014. Reportedly three soldiers with the NATO-led international alliance were killed on 16 September in Afghanistan, the military said in a statement. An additional 13 civilians have been injured in the attack, officials said. The International Security Assistance Force ISAF said the troops were killed 'as a result of an enemy attack in Kabul': photos - EPA/HEDAYATULLAH
Reuters reports a Taliban spokesman saying a suicide bomber, identified only as Bilal, had been lying in wait for foreign troops in a car packed with explosives on a road near the heavily fortified embassy leading from the airport to the Afghan capital.
Polish Sergeant Rafał Celebudzki was among the dead, Polish Radio's IAR news agency reports, with two Polish soldiers also wounded in one of the worst attacks on NATO troops in Afghanistan this year.
The explosion occurred at around 8 am local time, according to reports, with 13 Afghan civilians also injured in the attack.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) coalition said in a statement on Tuesday morning that three of its troops had been killed and that it was investigating the incident. (pg)