Poland recommends 'prudent joint action' against Ukraine authorities
PR dla Zagranicy
Prime Minister Donald Tusk has said he will be pushing for a "responsible" use of sanctions against Ukraine when he speaks to the European Commission president following three people being killed in Kiev during violent clashes with police.
Donald Tusk speaking on Wednesday morning: photo - PAP/Radek Pietruszka
Tusk told reporters in Warsaw on Wednesday that his government recommends "joint action across the European Union to events in Ukraine and most importantly, a prudent and responsible use of tools that are at the disposal of the international community".
"Therefore, together with our partners, we will be looking for such a course of action, which will bring the desired effect [...] to stop the violence and repression against citizens and participants in the democratic opposition in Ukraine," Tusk added before speaking to European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso on the worsening situation in the ex-Soviet state.
PM Tusk's remarks come after Ukraine's attorney general confirmed that three people had died on Wednesday morning as police attempted to clear barricades near government building in Kiev.
The opposition claims that at least one of the protesters was shot dead by police sniper fire.
The European Union has called on Ukraine's government and opposition to "engage in a genuine dialogue".
"I strongly condemn the violent escalation of events in Kiev overnight leading to casualties. The reported deaths of several protesters are a source of extreme worry," EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said in a statement.
Two hundred were injured at the weekend when violent protest erupted following Ukraine's parliament passing tough anti-protest legislation, in reaction to demonstrations against President Yanukovich refusing to sign trade and other deals with the EU in November.
The US Embassy in Ukraine said Wednesday that those responsible for the use of force against protesters in Kiev will be deprived of American visas.
The embassy revealed that "several citizens of Ukraine related to the use of force" were refused visas to the US in November and December last year, though the statement did not name the officials involved, the PAP news agency reports. (pg)